You may know that May 5th – 11th, 2019 is National Small Business Week. At Acuity, we work with thousands of small business owners to help them with their business’s bookkeeping, accounting, CFO, and tax needs. It is an honor to serve these wonderful, hardworking, and passionate people and help them achieve their small business dreams. We are proud to celebrate these businesses during National Small Business Week (and every week!).
To help you get into the spirit for small business week, here are some fun facts about U.S. SMBs. If you have any to add, we’d love for you to share them with us!
- As of 2018, there were 30.2 million small businesses in the U.S. This number accounts for 99.9% of United States businesses (U.S. Small Business Association Office of Advocacy)
- 70% of small businesses are owned and operated by a single person (U.S. Small Business Association Office of Advocacy)
- As of 2018, there were 12.3 million women-owned businesses in the U.S. Compare that to 1972, when there were only 402,000 women-owned businesses. (Women’s Business Enterprise National Council)
- From 2000 to 2017, small businesses created 8.4 million net new jobs — accounting for a significant 65.9% of net new job creation in the U.S. (U.S. Small Business Association Office of Advocacy)
- It takes roughly 6 days to set up a business in the U.S. (The World Bank)
- 2.52 million businesses in the U.S. are majority-owned by veterans (SmallBusiness.com)
- Small business owners wear many hats. Two-thirds of SMB owners and leaders (66%) are personally responsible for three or more of the following areas of their business: operations, finance, sales, marketing, human resources, customer service, product development, or IT. (Salesforce)
- And since we are headquartered in Atlanta, here are some more fun facts specifically about the small businesses in our home state of Georgia!
We hope you enjoyed this post and that it will serve as a reminder to support the small businesses in your community. And if you’re a small business owner yourself, just know that we are here to help you on your road to success. Our customers have been able to save time and money by outsourcing their back office tasks. In doing so, they’ve been able to focus their attention on what matters most — leading their business. If you think this might be a good solution for you, we’d be happy to chat! Reach out today!